Coaching Corner: Fine-tuning your communication
Mar 10, 2023
By Marilou Butcher Roth, Master Coach
Communication presents itself frequently in all aspects of our lives. The word COMMUNICATION is frankly overused, in my opinion, and taken for granted. We all know we need to have good communication, and yet, do we have the same awareness as to how to make that happen?
Let’s look at some key points of clear communication:
- Make eye contact -- when you are having a conversation with someone, and your eyes are focused elsewhere, the value of the moment is diminished.
- Stay away from “never” and “always” statements.
- Allow your attention to “loop” back and forth between you and the person(s) you are speaking with. Notice what is happening to you during the conversation and with the other person. It is easy to override what we might be experiencing if our attention is solely placed on the other person. Conversely, it is challenging to absorb the words from the other person if your attention is focused too inward.
- Be aware of your tone -- sometimes, our words come out differently than what we intend.
- Do not interrupt -- let the other person complete their thought before voicing yours.
- Fully listen!
These are just a few ways to create cleaner, stronger communication, regardless of the situation.