Coaching Corner: Questions for you!
By "Coach" Marilou Butcher Roth
Many years ago, I was browsing in Joseph Beth Bookstore while a friend from England was happily finding much to see. My browsing led me to a book called “Work Less, Make More” by Jennifer White. Having an abundance of wait time, I found myself totally intrigued by this book, which, of course, I purchased. In no time I completed the book and did something I even surprised myself with -- I called the 800 number in the back of the book! Even more surprising was a return call from Jennifer with a local number!!! Bottom line, we met for coffee and it was she that identified what I was doing was coaching, which started me on quite the amazing adventure! This book has been a staple in my library since then, and one I refer to often. Today, I want to present her questions from the book for you to ponder and hopefully act upon - so here we go:
Discover Your "Work Less, Make More" Vision:
- How many hours do you want to work each day?
- How many hours do you want to work each week?
- How many free days do you want to take each week?
- How many vacations do you want to take each year?
- What will you do with your free time? Be specific.
- What type of work brings you joy?
- What do you need in your work to do your best? In other words, describe the ideal environment, people, and resources you need to do your best work.
- How much money do you need to survive each month?
- How much more money do you need on top of your basic expenses to feel as if you have enough? Is there a certain amount of money you want in the bank to feel rich? Why that number?
- How much money do you want to make each month?
- How much money do you want to make each year?
- What will you do with this money? Be specific.
- What’s different about your life when you’re working less and making more than how you live your life today?
- What does it look like when you’re working less?
- What does it look like when you’re making more?
- How does it feel when you’re worklng less?
- How does it feel when you’re making more?
- How will you know when you’re working less and making more? What evidence and results will prove it?
- In what areas in your life do you want to be wealthy? Why?
OK, some of her questions may resonate and be more readily answered than others. No problem! Perhaps you look at one at a time -- this could be a great morning practice to bring more awareness into your day. Each of these questions will bring you to a clearer place, and from this place, comes an easier direction. Each of us needs to be clear about what we want, so that we do know which direction is best for us!